Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Spare Time

I love awkward periods of time between classes. Now I can catch up on posting!

So my fan wore out on my desktop PC and school started, so I've taken my sweet time in repairing it. I just got it up and running so I can start editing Arizon/Vegas trip pictures soon. I've had the netbook but editing pictures on it is a joke. The editing process will probably be slow as I'm moving my workflow over to Ubuntu--having to find alternative software is a potentially frustrating but very exciting process.

The most widely accepted open source alternative to Photoshop is GIMP and it's pretty similar in layout; however, it's UI is a nightmare. I believe I've posted on this already. I've done a little research into a RAW photo processing software, but I have yet to test anything. It would be nice if Adobe would port some of its software over to Ubuntu--there's a decently large customer base who would be willing to pay and I speculate the longer they neglect this market the better the alternative open source software will become and they may even lose their monopoly. Time will tell.

Anyways, school started and I'm ending my Electrical Engineering Technology major and beginning my Computer Science major, so a lot of my hobbyist musings have been more computer-oriented than photo-oriented. However, I plan a full return to my photography hobby, particularly once I get some sort of dedicated website up and running to replace my various fragmented blogs. Consequently, I want to keep posting here even if my actual photographs are few and far between.

If you are a technophile or just want to keep up with my non-photography thoughts in the meanwhile, head over to my other blog http://codingcraig.blogspot.com and look around. That will probably be where the bulk of my postings occur. Once I set up a website of my own, I'll hopefully have everything in one place, yet separate enough to prevent subscribers of one category from having to sift through content they don't care about.

Anyways, that's all I have time for this break. Gotta head to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment