Monday, December 13, 2010

Finals Week Update

So finals week is dumb. That goes without saying. I've spent waaaayyyy too much time studying. However, apart from that, I've been entertaining myself by writing an application which does the following:
  • Scans my computer for music files and generates a list with information about track title, album, artist, and track number
  • Allows me to check whether I have a physical copy of the album or not
  • Allows me to check whether I want to keep or delete the song
  • Calculates if it's worth it or not to buy the whole CD or just the songs I like (if I like 4 songs out of the CD, I could buy them online for $4.00 or maybe if the CD is old enough, I could get the whole CD from Amazon used for $3.50 or so)
Basically the objective is to make sure I don't have any illegally-acquired content, so I have some ground to stand on when I talk about copyright reform. Secondarily, it allows me to purge my library of all the crappy music that somehow smuggled itself onto my computer (I've never downloaded a rap song in my life, yet I somehow have dozens in my library?) Thirdly, I get to hone my Python skills on a somewhat fun, useful project.

In other news, I'm going on a roadtrip to Arizona pretty much as soon as finals are over--I'll be gone until Christmas Eve and it will be the first trip I've been on since I've had my camera. I hope to return with some decent pictures to play with. [Edit: Seth wants to play pokemon while we're driving to and from... win.] We likely won't have Internet most of the time and even if we do, I hope to be too busy to do much updating. Updates will come after I get back; however.

Good luck to everyone who still has finals!


No comments:

Post a Comment